Doors to Discovery
- Supplemental curriculum intended to help children build oral language, phonological awareness, and other early literacy skills
- Built around eight thematic units, each unit includes a range of teacher resources
- Utilizes shared literacy techniques, where children complete sentences with missing words, etc.
Strength of evidence
Evidence level: Strong (second-highest tier)
Strong (second-highest tier)
Ranked as having the second-highest level of evidence by the U.S. Department of Education What Works Clearinghouse
$2,654 for a full educational set (2013)
Outcomes and impact
- Positive effects on oral language, print knowledge, and phonological processing
- Improved oral language by an average of 11 percentile points
- Improved print knowledge by an average of 15 percentile points
- Improved phonological processing by an average of 6 percentile points
Keys to successful implementation
- Note: This content is under review
- Doors to Discovery must be delivered with fidelity in order to achieve positive outcomes.
- Teachers must be provided with ample professional development opportunities to master curriculum and should be evaluated regularly to ensure that model is delivered with fidelity.