Family treatment drug courts
- Provide substance abuse testing, judicial monitoring, and support services to parents of children in the child welfare system, with the goal of helping parents create safe environments for their children and ultimately retain custody
- Additional services or programming (for example, individualized multidimensional family therapy, peer mentoring) may enhance benefits
Strength of evidence
Evidence level: Proven (highest tier)
Proven (highest tier)
Ranked as having the highest level of evidence by County Health Rankings and Roadmaps
Outcomes and impact
- Boosts family reunification and treatment of substance abuse
- May also improve family functioning
Keys to successful implementation
- Note: This content is under review
- Multi-dimensional family therapy and other intensive strategies to increase family engagement can increase the likelihood of family reunification.
- Treatment plans should consider the specific needs of each family member in the household. Administering bodies should be prepared to provide an array of resources and support to each individual.