H&R Block College Financial Aid Application Assistance
- Provides technical assistance and counseling to families attempting to fill out the FAFSA
- Uses the family’s tax return data to answer most questions on the FAFSA
- H&R Block employees conduct 10-minute interviews to gather additional necessary information and submit the application
- Estimate the aid the applicant was eligible for and the net tuition cost of attending nearby colleges
Strength of evidence
Evidence level: Proven (highest tier)
Proven (highest tier)
Ranked as having the highest level of evidence by Social Programs That Work
High school-aged children
$97 per program participant
Outcomes and impact
- Increased rates of FAFSA completion
- Increased college persistence by 8 percentage points
- Increased degree completion by 3 percentage points
Keys to successful implementation
- Note: This content is under review
- Partner with local tax preparation providers to identify and recruit program participants using predetermined criteria, such as household income (less than $45,000), age (15-30), and educational attainment (no bachelor’s degree).
- Invest in automation software to expedite the FAFSA completion process both for the participating families and assisting tax professionals.
- Train participating tax preparers on automation software and interview best practices to help families quickly and comfortably complete FAFSA process; provide ongoing support and observation, especially during initial engagements.
- During 10-minute interview, encourage tax preparers to provide personalized financial aid estimates and to clearly describe tuition costs for nearby colleges.
- When possible, combine the FAFSA completion process with an already-scheduled visit (i.e. during a pre-existing appointment for tax preparation).