Places for physical activity
- Consists of expanding areas (and access to those areas) for physical activity in communities, such as exercise facilities or trails
- Aims to boost physical activity and fitness and potentially influence reduced obesity rates
- Evidence suggests that cComplementary efforts to ensure the safety and quality of such places may play an important role alongside access in ensuring uptake of activity.
Strength of evidence
Evidence level: Proven (highest tier)
Proven (highest tier)
Ranked as having the highest level of evidence by County Health Rankings and Roadmaps
Outcomes and impact
- Better access to exercise facilities improves fitness and boosts activity across diverse types of communities
- Safety and quality of facilities may play an important role in ensuring uptake of physical activity
Keys to successful implementation
- Note: This content is under review
- For places for physical activity to be successful, they must ensure that visitors feel safe and secure on the premises. New spaces should include bright lighting, open views, street access, and high pedestrian visibility.
- Human-centered design approaches can increase facility utilization and strengthen community support of new spaces.