Riverside Post-Assistance Self Sufficiency Program
- Aims to increase employment and earnings for recent TANF recipients
- Provides post-employment services and payments for supportive services based on participant needs
- Services and support include case management, counseling and mentoring, reemployment activities, life skills workshops, referrals to training and education, support services (child care, transportation, books, equipment), and referrals to social services programs
Strength of evidence
Evidence level: Promising (Third-highest tier)
Promising (Third-highest tier)
Riverside Post-Assistance Self Sufficiency Program is not yet in any of the major clearinghouses, but has demonstrated positive results in an independent, high-quality evaluation conducted by MDRC
Low- and moderate-income adults and families
Outcomes and impact
- Increased employment by 3.7 percentage points during the 4th year
- Increased annual earnings by $967
Keys to successful implementation
- Explore partnerships with local third-party providers who are familiar with the people, jobs, services, and training necessary to best position participants in the workforce, especially well-established community-based organizations, community colleges, and other groups.
- Prepare reemployment resources and materials for participants who leave their initial job, and prioritize counselor communication with such participants to aid their reemployment process.
- Develop a broad, robust recruitment strategy, emphasizing job search assistance and supportive services in initial messaging while using both written (letters and flyers) and electronic communications (emails, texts, and phone calls).
- Ensure that case management and counseling programs are prepared to meet demand among participants.