The Expert Mathematician
- Three-year program to help middle-school students develop mathematical thinking and communications ability
- Uses software and print materials that work to improve mathematical understanding in 196 lessons
- Lessons range from 40–120 minutes, often combining computer-based instruction with workbook activities
Strength of evidence
Evidence level: Strong (second-highest tier)
Strong (second-highest tier)
Ranked as having the second-highest level of evidence by the U.S. Department of Education What Works Clearinghouse
Middle school-aged children
Approximately $500 per student
- Not available
Outcomes and impact
- Potentially positive effects on general math achievement
- Math achievement outcomes improved by an average of 14 percentile points
- Positive impact on learning attitudes and confidence among students
Keys to successful implementation
- Content currently under review
- Training and professional development opportunities for teachers ensure that the curriculum is delivered with fidelity and student progress is accurately assessed.
- Buy-in at the school district and instructor level help ensure successful implementation.
- The software and print materials package accommodates diverse learning styles and varying language proficiencies. Instructors should customize materials for students accordingly.