Annual book fairs
Local governments can invest in this strategy using State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds (SLFRF) from the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA).
- This strategy can help address educational disparities. The U.S. Department of Treasury has indicated that strategies that help achieve this outcome are eligible for the use of Fiscal Recovery Funds.
- Investments in this strategy are SLFRF-eligible as long as they are made in qualified census tracts or are designed to assist populations or communities disproportionately impacted by COVID-19.
- Created to tackle summer learning loss, wherein students return to school after summer with lower academic achievement or skills
- Provides books to high-poverty elementary schools for students to read over three consecutive summers
- Students pick twelve books to keep, which are delivered on the final day of school
Evidence and impacts
Ranked as having the highest level of evidence by Social Programs That Work
- Increased academic achievement
- Mixed effect on SAT/ACT scores, depending on the program
Best practices in implementation
- Content coming soon