Local governments can invest in this strategy using State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds (SLFRF) from the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA).
- This strategy can help address educational disparities. The U.S. Department of Treasury has indicated that strategies that help achieve this outcome are eligible for the use of Fiscal Recovery Funds.
- Investments in this strategy are SLFRF-eligible as long as they are made in qualified census tracts or are designed to assist populations or communities disproportionately impacted by COVID-19.
- Provide educational materials to instructors for designing or supplementing curriculum
- Virtual platforms may include learning modules, virtual laboratories, examples and practice problems, and instructor feedback
- Content varies from several hours of lecture to semester-long courses
College access and readiness supports
- Cost per Participant
Evidence and impacts
Ranked as having the second-highest level of evidence by the U.S. Department of Education What Works Clearinghouse
- Inconsistent effect on academic achievement
- May increase credit accumulation and persistence
Best practices in implementation
- Technology-enhanced learning resources will not be useful if students do not have internet access. Community-driven partnerships between educational institutions and internet service providers can help strengthen student access to the internet.
- The most effective online learning experiences are developed by teams that include instructors and other experts, like designers, technologists, user experience experts, and other digital learning specialists.
- Implementation of a strong feedback system allows students and instructors to adapt to learners' needs and challenges.
- Implementing open learning initiatives often require increased funding for public institutions of higher learning, frequently to help strengthen technology infrastructure.
- Professional development and support for educators to integrate learning technologies into their instructional practice is important for achieving positive outcomes.