Building Blocks Pre-K
- This strategy can help address educational disparities. The U.S. Department of Treasury has indicated that strategies that help achieve this outcome are eligible for the use of Fiscal Recovery Funds.
Investments in this strategy are SLFRF-eligible as long as they are made in qualified census tracts or are designed to assist populations or communities disproportionately impacted by COVID-19.
- Supplemental math curriculum that uses software, manipulatives, and print material
- Embeds mathematical learning into a variety of activities
- Software includes 150 activities
- Teaching guidance is provided for all materials
Strength of evidence
Evidence level: Proven (highest tier)
Proven (highest tier)
Ranked as having the highest level of evidence by the U.S. Department of Education What Works Clearinghouse
Approximately $750 for a full set of materials
Developed in 2006
Outcomes and impact
- Positive effect on early math achievement
- Improved math achievement by an average of 36 percentile points
Keys to successful implementation
- Note: This section is under review
- Building Blocks for Pre-K must be delivered with fidelity in order to achieve positive outcomes.
- Teachers must be provided with ample professional development opportunities to master curriculum and should be evaluated regularly to ensure that model is delivered with fidelity.