Headsprout Early Reading
- This strategy can address educational disparities. The U.S. Department of Treasury has indicated that strategies that help achieve this outcome are eligible for the use of Fiscal Recovery Funds.
Investments in this strategy are SLFRF-eligible as long as they are made in qualified census tracts or are designed to assist populations or communities disproportionately impacted by COVID-19.
- Early literacy program consisting of eighty 20-minute episodes and interactive activities
- Lessons teach phonological awareness, vocabulary, and comprehension skills
- Provides teachers with supplemental activities to reinforce learning
Strength of evidence
Evidence level: Strong (second-highest tier)
Strong (second-highest tier)
Ranked as having the second-highest level of evidence by the U.S. Department of Education What Works Clearinghouse
First developed in 1999
Outcomes and impact
- Positive effects on oral and print knowledge
- Improved oral language by an average of 22 percentile points
- Improved print knowledge by an average of 22 percentile points
Keys to successful implementation
- Note: This content is under review
- Headsprout Early Reading must be delivered with fidelity in order to achieve positive outcomes.
- Teachers must be provided with ample professional development opportunities to master curriculum and should be evaluated regularly to ensure that model is delivered with fidelity.