Headsprout Early Reading
- This strategy can help address educational disparities, which the U.S. Department of Treasury has designated as an eligible use of SLFRF funds.
Investments in this strategy are SLFRF-eligible as long as they are made in qualified census tracts or are designed to assist populations or communities disproportionately impacted by COVID-19.
- Early literacy program consisting of eighty 20-minute episodes and interactive activities
- Lessons teach phonological awareness, vocabulary, and comprehension skills
- Provides teachers with supplemental activities to reinforce learning
Strength of evidence
Evidence level: Strong (second-highest tier)
Strong (second-highest tier)
Ranked as having the second-highest level of evidence by the U.S. Department of Education What Works Clearinghouse
First developed in 1999
Outcomes and impact
- Positive effects on oral and print knowledge
- Improved oral language by an average of 22 percentile points
- Improved print knowledge by an average of 22 percentile points
Keys to successful implementation
- Note: This content is under review
- Headsprout Early Reading must be delivered with fidelity in order to achieve positive outcomes.
- Teachers must be provided with ample professional development opportunities to master curriculum and should be evaluated regularly to ensure that model is delivered with fidelity.