- This strategy can help address educational disparities, which the U.S. Department of Treasury has designated as an eligible use of SLFRF funds.
Investments in this strategy are SLFRF-eligible as long as they are made in qualified census tracts or are designed to assist populations or communities disproportionately impacted by COVID-19.
- Play-based, child-centered early education curriculum
- Instruction emphasizes active learning and focuses on a range of school readiness skills
- Half-day program includes a weekly home visiting component
- Average child-teacher ratio of 6:1
- Includes monthly small-group meetings of parents
Strength of evidence
Evidence level: Strong (second-highest tier)
Strong (second-highest tier)
Ranked as having the highest level of evidence by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, the National Institute of Justice; the second-highest level of evidence by Blueprints for Healthy Youth Development, County Health Rankings and Roadmaps, Social Programs That Work
- Ypsilanti, MI
Outcomes and impact
- Increased long-term academic achievement
- Reduced long-term engagement in risky behavior
- Increased long-term employment and earnings
- Yielded $6.60 in social benefit for every dollar invested
Keys to successful implementation
- Note: This content is under review
- Implementation and learning practices are based on cognitive-development theories, which inform active participatory learning techniques.
- HighScope can be adapted to work in congruence with a state’s educational curriculum requirements, allowing for better educational quality and compliance.
- Partnerships with schools and buy-in from teachers are essential for curriculum success. Staff and teacher training is essential in ensuring that curriculum is delivered with fidelity.
- Parent participation (through in-class interactions and workshops) is essential to extend the learning environment to the home.
- Frequent program assessments ensure that curriculum is delivered as intended and achieving best possible results.