Lead paint abatement programs
- Remove lead-based and contaminated surfaces from homes and other buildings using subsidies or other inducements
Strength of evidence
Evidence level: Proven (highest tier)
Proven (highest tier)
Ranked as having the highest level of evidence by County Health Rankings and Roadmaps
Outcomes and impact
- Improved health outcomes for children and adults, reducing developmental disorders, attention deficit disorders, brain damage, and other health issues
- Declines in aggressive behavior, crime, and risky sexual activity
Keys to successful implementation
- Note: This content is under review
- Impact of local strategies are influenced by characteristics of the local housing market, community awareness levels, and relevant state statutory and case law.
- Specialized legal enforcement approaches (lead courts) may increase the effectiveness of existing state or local laws.
- Testing and measuring lead levels in neighborhoods may reveal information about specific populations or areas that should be targeted.
- Informational material can help landlords, homeowners, tenants, and community members understand the connection between lead, health issues, educational issues, and other social impacts.