Building Blocks Pre-K
Local governments can invest in this strategy using State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds (SLFRF) from the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA).
- This strategy can help address educational disparities. The U.S. Department of Treasury has indicated that strategies that help achieve this outcome are eligible for the use of Fiscal Recovery Funds.
- Investments in this strategy are SLFRF-eligible as long as they are made in qualified census tracts or are designed to assist populations or communities disproportionately impacted by COVID-19.
- Supplemental math curriculum that uses software, manipulatives, and print material
- Embeds mathematical learning into a variety of activities
- Software includes 150 activities
- Teaching guidance is provided for all materials
Evidence and impacts
Ranked as having the highest level of evidence by the U.S. Department of Education What Works Clearinghouse
- Positive effect on early math achievement
- Improved math achievement by an average of 36 percentile points
Best practices in implementation
- Note: This section is under review
- Building Blocks for Pre-K must be delivered with fidelity in order to achieve positive outcomes.
- Teachers must be provided with ample professional development opportunities to master curriculum and should be evaluated regularly to ensure that model is delivered with fidelity.