Federally-qualified health centers
Local governments can invest in this strategy using State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds (SLFRF) from the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA).
- This strategy can help residents access health services. The U.S. Department of Treasury has indicated that strategies that help achieve this outcome are eligible for the use of Fiscal Recovery Funds.
- Public and private nonprofit health care organizations that receive federal funding
- Deliver comprehensive care to uninsured, underinsured, and vulnerable patients regardless of ability to pay
- Perform as well or better on measures of quality and access to care than medical facilities that do not care for under-resourced patients
Evidence and impacts
Ranked as having the highest level of evidence by County Health Rankings and Roadmaps
- Increased access to primary care and improved outcomes for patients
- Increased continuity of care
- Increased access to oral health care
Best practices in implementation
- Note: This content is under review
- Provide center staff with training and informational materials on health plans, as well as Medicaid and Medicare requirements.
- Identify sustainable funding sources for integrated medical support, including both preventative screenings and treatment and mental health and substance abuse.
- Collaboration with state health agencies and private practices can enable higher-quality, continued care to patients, enhance service quality, and address staffing needs.
- Partnerships with hospitals, managed care organizations, local public health departments, and non-profit organizations can help FQHCs to develop deeper relationships with community members and more effectively serve local populations.
County Health Rankings and Roadmaps evidence overview of federally qualified health centers Health Resources and Services Administration. (2018). Health Center Program compliance manual. National Association of Community Health Centers. (2015). State funding for community health centers Kaiser Family Foundation survey of community health centers Takach and Buxbaum, "Developing Federally Qualified Health Centers Into Community Networks to Improve State Primary Care Delivery Systems," National Academy for State Health Policy, 2011