Knowledge is Power Program (KIPP)
Local governments can invest in this strategy using State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds (SLFRF) from the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA).
- This strategy can help address educational disparities. The U.S. Department of Treasury has indicated that strategies that help achieve this outcome are eligible for the use of Fiscal Recovery Funds.
- Investments in this strategy are SLFRF-eligible as long as they are made in qualified census tracts or are designed to assist populations or communities disproportionately impacted by COVID-19.
- Charter schools with an extended school day and extended school year
- “High expectations” environment, with focus on high performance in attendance, homework, support for parents, and professional development for teachers
- Performance-based employment decisions, substantial regional autonomy in leadership practices, training, and resource allocation
- Issue Areas
Elementary and middle school success
- Target Population
All school-aged children
- Cost per Participant
Estimated $12,731 per student per year
Evidence and impacts
Ranked as having the highest level of evidence by County Health Rankings and Roadmaps and Social Programs That Work; the second-highest level of evidence by the U.S. Department of Education What Works Clearinghouse
- Positive effects on mathematics and English achievement
- Potentially positive effects on science and social studies achievement for middle and high school students
- Improved mathematics achievement by an average of 12 percentile points
- Improved English achievement by 8 percentile points
- Potentially improved science achievement by 11 percentile points
- Potentially improved social studies achievement by 5 percentile points
Best practices in implementation
- Rigorous principal selection and development
- Leadership team that consists of Principal as instructional leader, Assistant Principal of Operations responsible for all operational duties, and an Assistant Principal who is mentored to be a future Principal.
- Clear leadership pathways with the expectation that managers are mentoring their direct reports
- Performance-based teacher and leader contract renewal
- National Foundation to support learning and improvement across the entire network of KIPP schools